This shouldn’t surprise anybody, but most of the podcast subscribers use iOS applications.
If you want to geek out in stats a little bit more: on the mobile side there was a 4.76:1 ratio for downloads to iOS devices directly vs downloads to Android devices.
I did some quick analysis on my show, and here’s the number:
- 55% of the subscribers use Apple Podcasts.app
- 20% uses iTunes (Mac and Windows combined)
- 9% uses Downcast.
- 8% uses Android, combining all clients.
Among Android, most popular clients are: Pocket Casts, Rebuild.fm (by rejasupotaro) and Podkicker, which makes sense because I recommended them in the guide.
so this is more like 9:1 ratio for iOS and Android. I guess the reasons are:
- iOS is getting even more popular in Japan (some articles back this up)
- Android Podcast clients suck
- Few listeners might have multiple devices, both iOS and Android, and they prefer iOS to listen to podcasts.